Laughing Buddha - Symbol of happiness and prosperity
The laughing, stout or smiling bald man in robes with a large stomach, known as the Laughing Buddha makes for a beautiful decorative piece. But apart from enhancing one’s living space, it is very significant as it brings happiness and good fortune. As per a legend, rubbing his belly brings forth wealth and prosperity. The character of Laughing Buddha is based on a historical Chinese Buddhist monk who lived over 1,000 years. Due to this monk’s benevolent nature, he was regarded as an incarnation of the bodhisattva who will be Maitreya (the Future Buddha). Laughing Buddha is considered as one of the most prominent Feng Shui figures worldwide.
Different types of Laughing Buddha
There are various kinds of Buddha statues which symbolize different things.
- Buddha with a bowl symbolizes a monk’s life. It stands for renunciation of material possessions and enlightenment.
- Buddha with a fan stands for joy and happiness.
- Laughing Buddha with beads is regarded as a monk representing the practice of meditation and the beads signify pearls of wisdom.
- Buddha playing with children (usually five children) symbolizes good luck and positivity.
- Laughing Buddha with a sack has two versions. According to one, he takes away people’s sadness and misery and puts them in his sack. As per the second version, sack depicts good luck and wealth.
Different poses of Laughing Buddha
Laughing Buddha statues are available in a wide variety of different poses which are as follows:
- Buddha in a sitting pose symbolizes tranquility and balanced thoughts.
- Buddha carrying a bag on his right shoulder and a fan on the left offers protection during long journeys.
- Buddha with a bag of gold on his back signifies prosperity.
- Buddha in a standing pose signifies happiness and wealth.
- Buddha seated on a large gold nugget and ready to offer a smaller gold nugget symbolizes good luck.
- Buddha with a gold block in hands in an upright position symbolizes abundance.
- Buddha with a bottle gourd in one hand and a fan in the other brings good health.
- Buddha statue with a fan hat on his head symbolizes good fortune
Where to place the Buddha statue?
Buddha statue should be placed according to the basic Feng Shui rules as it will give results only if its position is in accordance with Feng Shui principles.
- Don’t place the statue in your kitchen, bathroom or store room.
- Don’t place Laughing Buddha on the floor. It is considered rude to look down upon him so place him at the eye level.
- Don’t put the statue besides electrical equipment.
- Statue facing the main entrance of your home is considered to be an auspicious location. Placement of the statue at the entrance will ensure that negative energies don’t enter the house.
- It can also be placed in the living room but it should face the entrance of the living room.
- Students can place the statue on their study tables.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Success Will Co...
Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his party AAP have been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons such as blame game, internal rift between the members and most recen...Read More ➜
According to Hindu Panchang, Bhadon or Bhadrapada is the sixth month of the year. This year, Bhadra begins from August 16, 2019 and ends on September 13. This month, which comes af...Read More ➜
Venus Transit t...
Venus was revered as a goddess by many ancient civilizations like the Romans and the Babylonians. The planet is often related to love and romance. In Vedic astrology also Venus is ...Read More ➜
Raksha Bandhan ...
Siblings are your first friends and first rivals, you’ve probably shared so many precious moments with them and even had those fights where you yelled and threw tantrums at each ot...Read More ➜