Whether it's your first-ever Karwa Chauth or not, Karwa Chauth's excitement never dulls. However, if you are feeling nervous or jittery about Karwa Chauth, these feelings can be said goodbye to. Wondering how? We've got you covered! Continue reading here to know the dos and don'ts to keep in mind on Karwa Chauth so that you can make the most of this occasion.
Karwa Chauth is one significant festival Hindu women wait all year round for!
Karwa Chauth celebrates the feeling of love and adoration between married couples. This festival is known to celebrate togetherness and the pure bond that a married couple shares. The Karwa Chauth Vrat, or the fast of Karwa Chauth, holds much significance for married women, wherein they follow a strict ritual of abstaining from food and water for an entire day. Married women do this fast for the longevity of their husbands.
Let's learn more about Karwa Chauth and the dos and don'ts you need to keep in mind for this festival.
Do you have any astrology-related questions? If so, Astroyogi astrologers can assist!
Significance of Karwa Chauth: Know Here!
Karwa Chauth is celebrated by Hindu married women. The women pray for the well-being, good health, and long life of their husbands. The Karwa Chauth involves a strict fast in which the women celebrating this occasion observe this fast. The women go through the day without consuming any morsel of food or a drop of water (Nirjala Vrat); they only break the fast when the Moon is sighted in the evening. In return, the husbands show their love and adoration to their wives by giving them gifts and showering them with love.
In some places, the festival of Karwa Chauth is referred to as 'Karak Chaturthi.' The 'Karwa' or 'Karak' refers to the earthen pot, whereas the Chauth means the 'fourth day.' The earthen pot is for making water offerings to the full Moon, known as Arghya. The Karwa is considered quite auspicious and given away to any eligible woman or a Brahmin as Dan after the Puja.
The preparations for the fast and this occasion start at least a couple of days before the day of the festival. The best way to enjoy Karwa Chauth is to indulge in all its customs and traditions. The women must follow all the customs and traditions, listen to the Karwa Chauth Katha for their wishes to be granted, and enjoy the occasion to its fullest.
Important Dos And Don'ts to Keep in Mind on Karwa Chauth 2022
The most crucial part of the Karwa Chauth festival is following the rituals involving the customary Sargi and the Karwa Chauth fast. This article brings you a list of dos and don'ts to keep in mind on the auspicious occasion of Karwa Chauth. Knowing these dos and don'ts can help you have a healthy and stress-free Karwa Chauth. Also, these dos and don'ts can help you celebrate the occasion without making any mistakes.
- Sargi is a before-the-sunrise meal that the mother-in-law prepares for her daughter-in-law. Sargi is a balanced and energy-rich diet. It includes sweet and savory dishes such as dry fruits, milk pheni, sevaiyaan, matthri, etc. The Sargi that a mother-in-law gives to her daughter-in-law is not just customary; it also contains food items one eats in the morning, before sunrise. You will get to eat only once; after that, you will have to stay without food and water throughout the day. Eating the right food can avoid headaches and dizziness. Hence, choose food items rich in complex carbs and proteins, as that'll keep you full for a longer time, keeping hunger pangs at bay. So, don't miss out on Sargi! (Note: Do not go overboard with your indulgences.)
- Women observing this occasion must apply Mehendi or Henna on their hands. The aroma and color of Mehendi are meant to add to the happiness and bliss in a couple's life. Apply the Mehendi a couple of days in advance to ensure enough time for the Mehendi to darken on your hands. On Karwa Chauth, apply Mehendi and adorn yourself in the best attire!
- For the Karwa Chauth celebrations, wear your best bright and beautiful traditional outfits. Women observing the fast can opt for red or yellow colors. In Hindu culture, red and yellow are considered auspicious colors. The color red signifies eternal love, whereas the color yellow is a symbol of peace and happiness. Hence, opting for these colors will be apt for Karwa Chauth 2022. Don't forget to pair your outfit with beautiful jewelry and Bindi, as this evening is for you to shine!
- Wearing Mangalsutra is a must on this day! Mangalsutra is a pious necklace that holds special significance in a woman's marital life. It is a necklace worn by married Hindu women, given by their husbands at their wedding. It signifies a blissful and harmonious married life. Mangalsutra is believed to protect the marriage and the husband. This pious necklace also strengthens the bond shared by the couple.
- The Karwa Chauth Vrat can be broken only when the husbands make their wives drink water. Hence, you must drink water from your husband's hand! If your husband is not at home, you should remember him and then drink the water.
- Steer clear of white or black color on Karwa Chauth. Wearing black clothes is not considered auspicious during any Puja in Hindu culture; hence, wearing black clothes on Karwa Chauth is also not regarded as good. Similarly, white is also considered inauspicious for married women, as this color is worn by women whose husbands have passed away. Therefore, women should not wear white colored clothes on this day.
- The married women observing Karwa Chauth should not use needles, knives, or scissors in food preparation. Moreover, they should avoid seasoning their food a lot.
- Do not donate anything in white color like white clothes, curd, rice, milk, white sweets, etc., to anyone on Karva Chauth. It is believed that Chandra Dev, or the Hindu God of the Moon, can get angry if a married woman does this.
- On this occasion, fasting women should not abuse, badmouth, or hurt others' feelings, especially elders. You should be polite, spread love to people around you, and avoid fighting or arguing. Most importantly, you should not quarrel with your husband, as it will give rise to negativity, and you will not get the fruits of this strenuous fast. You should have positive thoughts, stay calm and patient, and think about doing noble deeds. This occasion is all about strengthening the bond and celebrating togetherness.
- Women who are fasting should not wake up any sleeping members of the house on this particular day. Disturbing the person's sleep is considered inauspicious. Disturbing someone's sleep can also lead to you getting bad wishes from them. It will also be a testament to your impatient and rude attitude.
Most importantly, the day is meant to celebrate married women and their bond with their spouses, so make sure to enjoy the day. Comfort is key, so don't exert yourself!
Also Read: Karwa Chauth 2022: Get to Know The Significance, Rituals, Date, and Time
Karwa Chauth Date And Time You Should Know About
Karwa Chauth and its fast are observed on Chaturthi Tithi, i.e., the fourth day of the Krishna Paksha in the Kartik month, according to the Purnimanta Calendar. According to the Amanta Calendar, followed in Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Southern India, Karwa Chauth is celebrated during the month of Ashwin. However, only the name of the month differs; Karwa Chauth is celebrated on the same day.
Given below are the Karwa Chauth 2022 Shubh Muhurat, as per Delhi, NCT, India.
- Karwa Chauth 2022- 13th October 2022 (Thursday)
- Karwa Chauth Shubh Muhurat for Puja- 05:54 PM to 07:08 PM
- Karwa Chauth Upavasa Timing - 06:20 AM to 08:09 PM
- Moonrise on The Day of Karwa Chauth- 08:09 PM
- Chaturthi Tithi (Starts))- 01:59 AM, 13th October 2022 (Thursday)
- Chaturthi Tithi (Ends)- 03:08 AM, 14th October 2022 (Friday)
Karwa Chauth is observed with immense fervor all over India. However, compared to the Southern states of India, Karwa Chauth is more popular in the North Indian states of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana. In these states, the festival is celebrated on a grand scale with all its rituals. The celebration of Karwa Chauth coincides with a one-day festival of Sankashti Chaturthi, dedicated to the divine Lord Ganesha. After four days of Karwa Chauth, Ahoi Ashtami Vrat is observed by people for the well-being of the sons.
Karwa Chauth is an occasion marked by celebrations, fasting, praying, and feasting. The enthusiasm levels are unmatched for this day, and married women make huge preparations to make the most of this occasion and celebrate it to the fullest.
Looking to know more about Karwa Chauth rituals or want to make the most of Karwa Chauth 2022? If so, Astroyogi astrologers can help.
Happy Karwa Chauth!
Upcoming Festivals:👉 Ahoi Ashtami ➔ Dhanteras ➔ Diwali ➔ Govardhan Pooja ➔ Bhai Dooj ➔ Tulsi Vivah
✍️By- Team Astroyogi