How many personality traits should match for a successful marriage?
In Vedic Astrology, the concept of Kundli Matching is considered quite significant before marriage. It helps to ensure that the heavenly bodies complement the couple’s relationship, such that they are blessed with a peaceful, happy and harmonious married life. In case the couple is not very compatible, remedies and solutions are then provided such that the malefic effects of any dosha can be overcome and ill effects on the couple can be nullified.
Consult India’s best Vedic astrologers on Astroyogi.com for Kundli matching.
Guna Milan is based on the position of the Moon in the natal charts of bride and groom.
This process of Guna Milan is called as, ‘Ashtakoot Milan’. ‘Ashta; means eight and ‘Koota' means aspects. The eight Kootas are:
- Varna/Varan Koota- It helps to assess the couple’s spiritual compatibility by comparing their ego levels. This Koota is divided into 4 categories- Brahmins (Highest), Kshatriya, Vaishya, Shudra (Lowest). For a good compatibility score, the groom’s varna should be at least one point higher than that of the bride.
- Vasya/Vashya Koota- This Koota helps to calculate the couple’s mutual attraction and the power equation in their relationship. A person is classified into 5 categories, namely Manav/Nara (human), Vanchar (wild animals), Chatushpad (small animals), Jalchar (sea animals), Keeta/Keet (insects). If the bride and groom belong to the same Vasya, then their score is 2, else the score is 0.
- Tara/Dina Koots- This helps to calculate the couple’s birth star compatibility and destiny. There are 27 birth stars (Nakshatras). The star of the bride is counted from that of the groom and the resultant number is divided by nine. In the same way, a score is obtained for the groom. If both scores are even, then the couple’s compatibility score is 3. If their scores are odd, the overall score is 0.
- Yoni Koota- This Koota is used to measure the intimacy level and sexual compatibility between the couple. It is classified into 14 animals, namely- Horse, Elephant, Sheep, Snake, Dog, Cat, Rat, Cow, Buffalo, Tiger, Hare/Deer, Monkey, Lion, Mongoose. If the bride and groom belong to the category of the same animal, then their score is 4 points. Enemy animals get zero points.
- Graha Maitri/Rasyadipati Koota- It assesses mental compatibility, affection and natural friendship. The Lords of zodiac houses are either friends, neutral or enemies. Five points are given for friendly zodiacs, 4 points for when one is friendly and one is neutral, and zero points if they are enemies.
- Gana Koota- This Koota analyses the partners’ behavior and temperament. Birth stars are divided into three categories- Deva (God), Manava (Human) and Rakshasa (Demon). 6 points are given when the bride and groom belong to the same Gana.
- Rashi or Bhakoot Koota- It compares the emotional compatibility and love between partners. The position of planets in the couple’s birth charts are compared. If the boy's moon is placed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th house from girl's moon, then it is considered inauspicious. On the other hand, 7th and 12th houses are considered auspicious. If the bride’s moon is placed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th houses from groom’s chart, then it will be auspicious. However, it will be inauspicious if placed in the 12th house in the groom’s chart.
- Nadi Koota- This refers to aspects related to health and reproduction. The couple’s stars (Nakshatra) are divided into 3 parts- Aadi (Vata) Nadi, Madhya (Pitta) Nadi and Antya (Kapha) Nadi. If the bride and groom have the same Nadi, no points are given. If their Nadis are different, 8 points are given.
For couples that get a compiled score below 18, marriage is not recommended, as there could be problems later on in the marriage. Couples who obtain a compiled score between 18-24 are likely to have an average and acceptable married life. However, in Guna Milan getting a compiled score between 24-32 is considered very good and will lead to a successful marriage. A compiled score of 32-36 is considered an excellent match.
GET YOUR JANAM KUNDLI