Death is the 13th card of the Major
Arcana and is denoted by the number 13.
- The end of a current situation, which will clear the way for
a fresh start.
- Surrender to change and allowing it to take place.
- The events that cause the changes and that are not going to
be pleasant to begin with, there may be the loss of a friendship
or a relationship; or there may be financial losses.
- The changes that may be hard to cope with, but in the long run
will clear away a certain amount of baggage from the past and
leave the inquirer free to make a new start.
- The constant possibility of a chance to make good.
- The beginning of a new life, like marriage or birth.
- The depression that sometimes afflicts women and men after the
birth of a child, as they realise that they have to let go of
a phase of their life forever.
- This card can have a frightening effect when it appears in a
reading, but it should not be seen as an actual death but as the
death of a situation, sudden change or the resolution of problems.