Lord Shiva – The Charismatic
Lord Shiva is also popularly referred as Devon Ka Dev Mahadev. He is considered to be the most powerful god in the Hindu pantheon. Lord Shiva is also popularly known as Bhole Nath, Pashupati, Bhairava, Mahadeva, Vishwanath, Bhava, Vishwanath, and Mahadeva. Amongst the Hindu deities, Lord Shiva is the most complex of them all. You must have noticed that his shrine in the temple is always separate from other deities. He may be known as the God of destruction but there are other sides to him as well.
Here are some interesting facts about Him which will definitely fascinate you:
1. The Trident or Trishul of Shiva symbolizes the unity of 3 worlds of a human being. One is his inside world, second the immediate world around him and third the broader world. This Trishul also represents 3 Gunas namely Rajas, Tama, and Sattva.
2. Did you know Lord Shiva’s Damaru or the drum represents the sacred sound OM from which all languages were formed
3. If you have are an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva you cannot miss the crescent moon on his forehead. Thus, He is named Chandrashekar since the Vedic age when Rudra, Soma, and the Moon God were worshiped together.
4. Lord Shiva’s throat turned blue after He drank the entire poison or dreaded Kalakuta emitted by the serpent Vasuki during Samudra Manthan. This is the reason why He is also known as Neelakantha or the One with a Blue Throat.
5. Lord Shiva is represented as Nataraja; the Lord of Dance. However, there are two forms Tandava is the fierce side representing the destruction of the universe and Lasya is the gentler one. He represents truth when he dances, with dancing he banishes ignorance and helps relieve the suffering of his followers.
6. It may be hard to believe but Ravana was one of Shiva’s greatest devotees. It is believed that once Ravana tried to uproot Mount Kailasa but could not succeed. Lord Shiva trapped him beneath Kailasa. Thereafter, to redeem himself Ravana started singing hymns in praise of Shiva. He even went to the extent of cutting off one of his head and made a veena out of it and used the tendons as strings to make music. Not only did Lord Shiva free him from under the mountain, Ravana’s devotion that he ended up becoming Lord Shiva’s favorite devotee.
7. His first wife is Sati and not Parvati. However, Parvati is a reincarnation of Sati.
8. Lord Vishnu’s famous Sudarshana chakra was bestowed by Lord Shiva. The story goes as follows: Lord Vishnu was meditating with thousands of lotuses to please Lord Shiva. Shiva wanted to test Vishnu’s patience and so he took every flower which Vishnu was using to offer to Shivalinga on each nama. Vishnu only realized he was not left with any flowers at the thousandth time when he opened his eyes. Surprised to see there were no more flowers Vishnu offered Lord Shiva his eyes. Lord Shiva was pleased by the devotion of Vishnu and bestowed him the Sudarshan Chakra.
9. Did you know Shiva has many weapons that make him unbeatable? It includes a bow made from the rainbow, a club with a skull on the end, a spear made from thunderbolts and a sword.
Consult our expert Vedic Astrologers to learn more about Lord Shiva and how to worship and please him.
Lord Shiva is peaceful which is why He is also known as Bholenath. But if enraged He can become destructive, however, there are so many facets to his personality but He is also one God who can give us valuable lessons to live life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Delay in Marria...
"Marriages are made in heaven," A marriage is, without a doubt, a very unique bond that shares for a lifetime not only the bride and groom but also their families. For parents, mar...Read More ➜
Chandra Grahan or Lunar eclipse occurs, when the Moon comes directly behind the Earth as it revolves around it and all three; the Sun, the Earth and the Moon are in a straight line...Read More ➜
Effects of Full Moon
According to astrologers, during Full Moons, our emotions get amplified and magnified. The powerful energy of the Moon has a direct influence on one’s emotions and feelings. This m...Read More ➜
Ways to Spark t...
It feels amazing when you first fell in love with a person. Everything feels colorful and special and you feel as if you just can’t get enough of that person. Until, you start fear...Read More ➜